As a filmmaker, you probably know the feeling of being tired of self-promotion! I started this documentary project ten years ago and here is what I am enjoying about it:
- We just signed the film with an educational distributor! See me pictured outside their offices with a shiny new DVD cover. The film has already touched thousands of people and there continues to be interest.
- When it was released, we hit the festival circuit globally. The original version is in ASL with English subtitles and has a very unique sound design. The film has since been translated into six other languages including Russian, Chinese, Serbian, Italian, German & Portuguese.
- I got to accept a gorgeous award at a festival that brought me and the film on a paid trip to Russia!
- There has been strong interest from college departments – rather than spending more time and money going to festivals, I switched gears and focused on college screenings. What a nice change being paid for travel plus screening fees & honoraria!
- I get to show others how to tap the college market with their important films.
I still get to laugh at myself for using the royal “we” when I talk about it, because there have been so many people involved over the years. I’ve been the driving force, but it never would have happened without many many talented and bright people who pitched-in along the way.